This quick and easy chocolate mousse is a brilliant vegan dessert. Made with silken tofu, it’s even high in protein!
Equipment: you will need a confectionery thermometer.
Each serving provides 620 kcal, 8.5g protein, 86g carbohydrate (of which 74g sugars), 27g fat (of which 7.5g saturates), 2g fibre and 0.4g salt.
For the chocolate mousse
- 300g/10½oz silken tofu, drained
- 150g/5½oz vegan dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds only
- ½ tsp ground star anise
- 2 tbsp treacle
- agave syrup, to taste
- 20g/¾oz toasted flaked almonds, to serve
For the honeycomb
For the apricots
- Put the tofu, ground star anise, vanilla seeds, treacle and agave syrup into a large bowl and blend with a hand blender until silky smooth.
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof glass bowl sat over a saucepan of simmering water, being careful not to let the bowl touch the water. Fold into the tofu. Spoon the mixture between 4 glasses and refrigerate until set.
- To make the honeycomb, line a baking tray with baking paper. Put the sugar, glucose and golden syrup into a deep saucepan and heat until it reaches 145C. (This should take about 5 minutes). Quickly whisk in the bicarbonate of soda. Be careful as the mixture will bubble up very suddenly. Quickly pour onto the lined baking tray. Set aside to cool and harden.
- To make the apricots, heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the apricots and star anise and cook until the apricots start to caramelise. Sprinkle over a pinch of sugar and leave to cool.
- To serve, sprinkle the toasted almonds on top of the mousse and serve with the apricots and peices of honeycomb.