Sweet tip: add manuka Honey to your porridge to help fend off the dreaded winter cold!
- 24 asparagus spears
- 8 eggs
- 450 g swiss cheese, such as gruyère or emmental (thinly sliced)
- 8 slices of cooked ham
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 100 g plain flour
- 1 egg
- 300 ml milk
- sunflower oil (for frying)
- sea salt
- black pepper (freshly ground)
- Sift the flour and a pinch of salt into a bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the egg and whisk well with a balloon whisk.
- Gradually beat in the milk, drawing in the flour from the sides to make a smooth batter. Leave to rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, trim the asparagus spears and blanch in a pan of boiling water for 1–2 minutes, until almost tender but still with a slight bite.
- Drain and refresh under cold running water to prevent them from cooking any further and set aside until needed.
- Heat a little oil in an 18cm (7in) heavy-based pancake or frying pan. Pour in just enough batter to thinly coat the base of the pan.
- Cook over a moderately high heat for about 1 minute, until golden brown. Turn or toss the crêpe and break in an egg, then gently whisk to spread it evenly all over the crêpe.
- Season to taste.
2 small, fresh beetroots
1 lemon, juiced
500g Glenisk Organic Greek Style Natural yogurt
2 ripe avocados
1 lemon, juiced
Salt & pepper
4 free range eggs
Sourdough bread to serve
- Peel, top and tail the beetroot.
- Cover the beets in tinfoil, making tinfoil parcels.
- Roast at 190ºc for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until cooked through.
- Set aside and allow to cool.
- Once cool, blitz the beetroot with Glenisk yogurt and juice of one lemon in a food processor until smooth.
- Mash up two avocados, add juice of one lemon, 2 pinches of maldon salt and mix together.
- Toast the sourdough bread and spread with smashed avocado.
- Top with egg fried to your liking and 2 tbsp of the beetroot tzatziki.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Suggested Garnishes: Pickled cabbage, rocket, beet tzatziki, toasted seeds, a little chilli oil.
Nutritional Information (per serving)
Cook Time1 hour
What you need:
- 225g/8oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
- ½ teaspoon Goodall’s Mixed Spice
- 125g/4oz Butter or Margarine
- 50g/2oz Shamrock Mixed Peel
- 50g/2oz Shamrock Sultanas
- 50g/2oz Shamrock Chopped Walnuts (optional)
- 450g/1lb Bananas
- 1 tablespoon Rowse Honey (runny)
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Lightly grease a 900g/2lb loaf tin.
- Place the flour and spice into a mixing bowl, add the butter or margarine and rub in until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the mixed peel, sultanas and walnuts, if desired.
- Mash the bananas with the honey, stir gently into the mixture with the beaten eggs. Mix well.
- Transfer to prepared tin and bake for about 1 hour until well risen and golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in tin for 10 minutes. Turn onto wire tray to cool completely.
- When cold wrap in greaseproof paper and tin foil.