Queen Cakes, Fairy Cakes or Buns
CategoryBaking with Kids
Cook Time15 mins
What you need:
- 175g/6oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
- 125g/4oz Shamrock Golden Caster Sugar
- 125g/4oz Butter or Margarine (half a block)
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tablespoons Cold Water
- Glacé Icing or Chocolate Spread
- Hundreds and Thousands
- Glacé Cherries
- Ensure oven is fully preheated to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6.
- Next, put bun paper cases into bun tins.
- Put the flour, sugar, butter/margarine, eggs and water into a bowl. Beat all the ingredients together with an electric mixer or wooden spoon until the mixture is smooth.
- Put heaped teaspoons of the mixture into each bun case.
- Place in the oven on the top shelf and bake for about 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire tray. When cold, decorate as liked with your favourite toppings.
100g (4oz) Flahavan’s Progress Oatlets (plus extra for topping)
50g (2oz) Flahavan’s Oat Bran
150g (6oz) self-raising flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
75g (3oz) brown sugar
100g (4oz) pitted dates, finely chopped (or any dried fruit you have)
1 beaten egg
250g (10oz) Natural yogurt
100g (4oz) melted butter
125g (5oz) Blueberries (or any fresh or frozen fruit you have)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/ Gas mark 4).
2. Place the oats, oat bran, flour, bicarbonate of soda, sugar and dates into a large bowl and mix well.
3. Then add the egg, yogurt and cooled melted butter to the bowl, stir gently to combine and fold in the blueberries.
4. Grease a muffin tin or line it with muffin cases and divide the mixture between the cases.
5. Sprinkle oats on top of each muffin and bake for approximately 40 minutes or until risen and golden brown.
Serve warm or cold.