350g/12oz Odlums Coarse Wholemeal
25g/1oz Odlums Wheat Bran
1 tablespoon Shamrock Light Muscovado Sugar
or Rowse Honey
Pinch of Salt
1 teaspoon Shamrock Bread Soda (sieved)
1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
300ml / ½ pint Milk
125g Carton Yoghurt (Natural or Hazelnut)
1. Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Grease a 900g/2lb loaf tin.
2. Put wholemeal, wheat bran, sugar, salt and sieved bread soda into a mixing bowl and mix well together.
3. Add the oil, milk and yoghurt and stir until well blended. Mixture will be quite “wet”.
4. Transfer to the prepared tin and bake for 45 minutes – 1 hour. Bread is baked when tapped underneath and it has a hollow sound.
5. Wrap in a clean tea towel and allow to cool.
6. Bread cuts better if left until the next day.
The following can be mixed in with the dry ingredients:
50g/2oz Shamrock Apricots (chopped)
Handful of Shamrock Chopped Walnuts
1 Tablespoon of Sunflower Seeds
Sprinkle Odlums Oatflakes or sesame seeds on top of bread before baking.
Social distancing means lots of baking…how about a lovely lemon and blueberry tart from @odlums_ireland
It would make the perfect wee gift for mammy’s day…just leave it at her door step and keep your distance 😷🤪 BASE
225g/8oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
125g/4oz Butter (room temperature)
75g/3oz Shamrock Golden Caster Sugar
Egg wash (beaten egg)
125g/4oz Shamrock Golden Caster Sugar
100g packet Shamrock Ground Almonds
Rind of 2 Lemons
Juice of 1 Lemon
170ml Fresh Cream
Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5. Lightly grease a flan dish 23cm/9″.
Make the base by beating together the butter and sugar until creamy. Then beat in the egg. Finally stir in the flour and mix to a soft dough. Cover and place in the fridge to chill for about 30 minutes.
Roll out pastry on a floured surface and use to line the prepared dish. Prick well with a fork. Cover with greaseproof paper or tin foil and place some rice or beans on top to keep pastry from rising during baking.
Remove from oven after 20 minutes and reduce oven temperature to 140°C/275°F/Gas 1. Brush pastry case with some egg wash while hot.
Next beat the eggs, sugar, ground almonds and cream. Then stir in the lemon rind and juice.
Pour into pastry case and bake for about 40 minutes until golden and firm to the touch.
When cool, dust with icing sugar.