What you need:
- 500g/1lb 2oz Odlums Wholemeal Rye Flour
- 500ml/ 17fl oz Warm Water
- 1 tbsp Black Treacle
- 1 x 7g sachet Instant Dried Yeast
- ½ tsp Salt
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Grease and base line a 900g/2lb loaf tin with baking parchment.
- In a jug, add treacle to the warm water and stir.
- Place rye flour in a bowl, make a well in the centre, add the yeast and pour on half of the liquid, gently add the flour from the edges of the well and rest for 15 mins.
- Add the remaining liquid and salt, mix well with a spoon to combine the ingredients. The mix will be quite thick, add more water if necessary to achieve a soft sticky dough.
- Transfer to the prepared tin, smooth the top with the back of a spoon dipped in water. Leave it, covered with a damp tea towel or cling film for approximately 1 hour, or until the dough has risen to the top of the tin.
- Bake for about 35-45 minutes until golden brown and the bread sounds hollow, when tapped underneath.
- Turn out onto a wire tray to cool. Enjoy!
Liked by seansbar and
Where in Ireland is your dream home? 🏠 Here’s the Swiss Cottage in Co. Tipperary – not only is the decor of great interest but the story behind it is too! Timber verandas, ornate thatching, mature native trees – looks like paradise to us! 😍 Special thanks to @allaroundireland 📷