Danish Apple Cake
CategoryOur Top Picks
Cook Time40 mins
What you need:
- 225g / 8oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 125g / 4oz Butter or Margarine
- 225g / 8oz Icing Sugar
- Rind of 1 Lemon
- 2 Eggs
- 150ml / 1/4pt Milk
- 6 Cooking Apples (peeled & thinly sliced)
- 100g packet Flaked Almonds
- Granulated Sugar (depending on sweetness of apples)
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Lightly grease an ovenproof dish about 28cms x 18cms (11″ x 7″).
- Cream together the butter or margarine and icing sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time. Stir in the lemon rind.
- Sieve flour and baking powder. Add the flour to the batter, alternately with the milk.
- Spread half the mixture into prepared dish, layer half the apples over this and top with remaining mixture. Arrange the apple slices on top. Sprinkle with sugar if wished and finally sprinkle over the flaked almonds.
- Bake for about 40 minutes until well risen and firm to the touch.
- Serve with cream, ice cream or cr̬me fraiche.