What you need:
- 65g/2oz Odlums All Purpose Cream Flour
- 80g/3oz Cocoa Powder
- 300g/10oz Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 240g/8oz Unsalted Butter (room temperature)
- 2 tsps Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Salt
- 80g/3oz Chocolate Chips or roughly chopped chocolate
Salted Caramel Sauce
- 200g/7oz Sugar
- 120g/4oz Unsalted Butter
- 125ml Double cream
- 1 ½ tsps Sea Salt
- For the caramel, heat the sugar in a saucepan on a medium heat. Swirl the pan to evenly distribute the sugar. Lightly stir the sugar with a spatula or wooden spoon for about 5 minutes until it becomes a light golden-brown liquid.
- Once it starts to darken, remove from the heat and stir in the butter until melted completely.
- Pour in the heavy cream and sea salt. You can use 1to 1 ½ tsps of salt, depending on how salty you like it. Stir well until it is all combined. Put it back on the heat for about 30 to 45 seconds, stirring all the while.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 15 minutes before using.
- While cooling, make your Brownie batter: Preheat the oven to 180’C. Line an 8 x8 baking dish with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until smooth. Stir in the sugar, eggs, vanilla and salt and mix to combine.
- Fold in the cocoa powder and flour and fold in the chocolate chips. Pour a little over half the brownie batter into the baking dish and spread evenly.
- Pour ¾ of the caramel sauce over the brownie batter, spread evenly. Spoon the rest of the brownie batter over the top, covering as much of the caramel as possible.
- Bake for roughly 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean (its ok if there is caramel on it you just don’t want any chocolate brownie batter)
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before cutting into squares.
- Serve with left over caramel sauce and ice-cream or whipped cream.