Weigh the eggs. Take the same weight in butter, sugar and flour. Beat the butter and sugar together until pale and light in texture. Wash the oranges and add the finely grated rind of 2 and the juice of 1 to the butter mixture. Mix the flour and baking powder and add alternately with the eggs. Beat thoroughly. Bake in a 24cm (91/2in) tin in a moderate oven, 180°C/350°F/gas 4, for 50 minutes approx. Cool the cake and split it in two. Sandwich with the orange butter icing and spread the chocolate icing over the top and sides allowing any excess to run off.
To make the orange butter icing, finely grate the rind of the orange and squeeze out the juice. Beat the icing sugar, butter and orange rind together. Add in enough juice to make the icing a spreading consistency.
To make the chocolate icing, melt the chocolate in the water. Remove from the heat and beat in the butter and then the eggs very thoroughly. Leave to cool and set before icing and filling the cake.
For the Orange Cake:
- 4 eggs
- softened butter
- plain flour
- 2 oranges
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
For the orange butter icing:
- 1 orange
- 110g (4oz, 1/2 cup) icing sugar
- 55g (2oz, 1/4 cup) softened butter
For the chocolate icing:
- 170g (6oz) chocolate
- 2 tablespoons water
- 50g (2oz, 4 tablespoons) softened butter
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tbsp Glenisk Organic Greek Style Yogurt
- 1 tbsp Cooked Beetroot, coarsely grated
- 1 tbsp Raw Carrot, grated
- 1 tbsp Apple, grated
- 1 tbsp Toasted Sunflower or Pumpkin Seeds
- Zest + juice of 1/2 orange
- 1/2 tsp Harisa Chilli Paste
- 1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Season with salt and pepper
- Add the yogurt to the bowl.
- Grate over the carrot, beetroot and apple.
- Squeeze over the orange juice and harissa paste.
- Sprinkle over the zest.
- Drizzle the olive oil on top.
- Add the seeds on top and season.
Nutritional Information (per serving)