- Mix the oats with the apple juice in a deep bowl.
- Microwave for 2-3 minutes stirring occasionally until the juice is absorbed. Add more juice if necessary.
- Leave to stand for 1 minute.
- Stir and serve topped with sliced apple and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Quick Apple Porridge
This recipe avoids milk altogether and so would be ideal for anyone on a dairy-free diet.
40g (1½ oz) or 2 scoops of Flahavan’s Quick Oats
170 ml (1/3 pint) of apple juice
Pinch of cinnamon
Cooking and Serving Instructions
Deep Filled Apple and Cranberry Crumble
Makes 8-10 servings.
160g (6oz) plain flour
55g (2oz) caster sugar
75g (3oz) butter
4 large cooking apples, peeled and sliced
150g (6oz) cranberries (fresh or dried)
100g (4oz) caster sugar
2 tbsp. water
75g (3oz) flour
75g (3oz) butter
75g (3oz) brown sugar
75g (3oz) Flahavan’s Progress Oatlets
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- To make pastry, sift the flour, add the caster sugar and rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add enough beaten egg to bind the pastry. The pastry can also be made using a food processor.
- Cut a circle of parchment to fit a large pastry dish, sprinkle with flour, roll out the pastry on the floured parchment and then slide it into the dish and bake blind for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile boil the ingredients for compote for 3 – 4 minutes.
- When pastry is baked, fill with the apple and cranberry compote.
- To make the crumble topping, combine the flour, sugar, butter and oats in a food processor until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. (Add the oats last if you would like them to stay coarse and be visible in the crumble).
- Sprinkle the crumble over the fruit and bake in the oven for about 40 minutes.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.