Ingredients (Serves 2-3)
- ¾-1 pint (1½ – 2 cups/350-475ml) of milk (according to desired consistency)
- 4oz (1⅓ cups / 110g) Flahavan’s Irish Oatmeal
- Zest of half an orange
- 1 tbsp. cranberries
- Toasted flaked almonds to sprinkle
Cooking and Serving Instructions
- Place the oats and milk in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes until soft and creamy.
- Grate in the orange zest.
- Add dried cranberries.
- Place in a bowl and serve sprinkled with toasted almonds.
- 1 cup Flahavan’s Progress Oatlets
- 1/3 cup Flahavan’s Oat Bran
- 2 tablespoons chilled butter or stick margarine, cut into small pieces
- 3 tbspn cold water
- Cooking oil
- 1 cup chopped leek
- 1 ¼ cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup evaporated fat-free milk
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp dried dill
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 large eggs
- 1 pack frozen chopped spinach, thawed drained and squeezed dry
- ¼ cup finely shredded Gruyère or Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- To prepare crust, combine oats and oat bran, cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add water, stir until just moist.
- Press mixture gently into a ball on wax paper.
- Roll dough, still covered into a 10-inch circle.
- Remove one sheet of wax paperand fit dough into a9-inch pie plate coated with cooking oil.
- Remove top sheet of wax paper.
- Bake at 375° for 7 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- To prepare the filling, place a medium nonstick skillet coated with cooking oil over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add leek, sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, sauté for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, spoon into a bowl.
- Combine milk and next 8 ingredients (milk through spinach) in a blender and process until smooth.
- Add to mushroom mixture and stir well.
- Pour into prepared crust and sprinkle with Gruyère cheese.
- Bake at 375° for approximately 35 minutes.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
Sweet tip: add manuka Honey to your porridge to help fend off the dreaded winter cold!