125g/4oz Odlums Coarse Wholemeal
125g/4oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
150ml/¼ pint Milk (approx)
25g/1oz Caster Sugar
Above quantities may be doubled if you wish!
- Sieve flour and salt into a bowl, stir in sugar, if used.
- Rub in margarine.
- Add sufficient milk to make a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured board and gently knead to remove any cracks.
- Roll out lightly to 1” in thickness. Cut into scones with a cutter dipped in flour.
- Place on a floured pre-heated baking sheet/tray, glaze if liked with beaten egg or milk.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven 425°F/220°C/Gas 8 on upper shelf position for 10 mins. approx .
- Cool on a wire tray.
When Cool, Place Creme Fraiche, smoked salmon & a sprig of Dill for a really tasty healthy lunch alternative!
Deep Filled Apple and Cranberry Crumble
Makes 8-10 servings.
160g (6oz) plain flour
55g (2oz) caster sugar
75g (3oz) butter
4 large cooking apples, peeled and sliced
150g (6oz) cranberries (fresh or dried)
100g (4oz) caster sugar
2 tbsp. water
75g (3oz) flour
75g (3oz) butter
75g (3oz) brown sugar
75g (3oz) Flahavan’s Progress Oatlets
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- To make pastry, sift the flour, add the caster sugar and rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add enough beaten egg to bind the pastry. The pastry can also be made using a food processor.
- Cut a circle of parchment to fit a large pastry dish, sprinkle with flour, roll out the pastry on the floured parchment and then slide it into the dish and bake blind for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile boil the ingredients for compote for 3 – 4 minutes.
- When pastry is baked, fill with the apple and cranberry compote.
- To make the crumble topping, combine the flour, sugar, butter and oats in a food processor until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. (Add the oats last if you would like them to stay coarse and be visible in the crumble).
- Sprinkle the crumble over the fruit and bake in the oven for about 40 minutes.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.