A sticky Greek cake that tastes a little like the much more complicated Greek dessert Baklava
Thanks to Angela for this simple cake recipe that kids just love.
- 1 cup of plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of orange zest
- 3/4 cup of butter
- 3/4 cup of white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 1 cup of chopped walnuts
- 1 cup of Haughton Honey
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 3/4 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 175c/350F. Grease and lightly flour a 9″ square cake tin. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and orange rind. Set this to one side.
- In a large bowl mix together the butter and the sugar with a whisk until light and fluffy. Then blend in the eggs one at a time. Gently blend in the flour mixture prepared earlier with the milk and stir in the walnuts.
- Pour the batter in to the prepared tin. Place in the preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool for 15 minutes and then cut the cake into diamond shapes before pouring the honey syrup over. Decorate with lemon zest if you wish.
- To make the honey syrup combine the honey, 1 cup of white sugar and 3/4 cup of water. Bring slowly to a gentle simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and continue cooking for a further 2 minutes. Keep warm before pouring on to the cake.
Notes for the cook: if you have a fan-assisted oven then reduce the specified temperature in the recipe by about 15% ~ 1 teaspoon = 5ml and 1 tablespoon = 15ml ~ some ingredients are measured in cups and some equivalents are; 150g, 6oz (1/2 cup) = 120ml, 4fl oz
Did you know that Salmon is rich in vitamins and can decrease the risk of heart disease and some cancers? We’re like the salmon of knowledge today! What more of a reason do you need to try out our Organic Salmon recipe!?
- 640g Organic Fillet of Salmon
- 100g Flahavan’s Organic Porridge Oats
- 100g Organic Bread Crumbs
- 100g Leeks
- 50g Organic Herbs
- 50g Organic Honey
- 100ml Fish Stock
- 100ml Creme Fraiche
- 50g Cabbage
- 2 Shallots
- 1 Lemon
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Place organic salmon on a chopping board, cut a slit down the centre.
- Toast the Flahavan’s Organic Porridge Oats in a pan, add breadcrumbs, chop shallots and sweat off in a small amount of butter.
- Place fresh herbs, Flahavan’s Organic Porridge Oats, breadcrumbs and shallots in a blender and blend to result in a green rustic oat crumb mixture.
- Brush the salmon with honey and top with the organic oat crumb mixture.
- Place the organic salmon on a baking tray, bake in oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes.
- Prepare the cabbage and leeks, blanch off in boiling water and refresh.
- To prepare the sauce, place the fish stock in a saucepan and reduce by half.
- Add honey, lemon juice and chopped herbs.
- To serve, place organic salmon on top of the cabbage and leeks, dress salmon with sauce and garnish.