One for the weekend!
Two of our favourite things are oats and cheese. We can’t wait to try this recipe for Steal-Cut Oats with Maple-Roasted Apples and Cheddar. Sounds like the perfect Saturday brunch to us.
- 1 fl oz (30ml) (2tbsp) Sunflower Oil
- 2 Medium Onions, chopped
- 2 Sticks of Celery, chopped
- 8oz (225g) Potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 Medium Carrots, chopped
- 2 Cloves of Garlic (optional)
- 3oz (75g) Flahavan’s Irish Oatmeal
- 8oz (225g) Can of Tomatoes
- 2 Vegetable or Chicken Stock Cubes
- 50 fl oz (1.5 Litre) Water
- Salt and Pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the vegetables and stir in the oil until evenly coated. Add the oatflakes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, stock cubes and water and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Blend, season and serve.
- Garnish with cream and chopped parsley.
This scone recipe can also be made into one large loaf cooked on a baking sheet. Cut a deep cross in the center and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, then reduce the heat to 400ºF (200ºC), Gas mark 6 and continue to cook for another 20 minutes until the base sounds hollow when tapped.
- 2 2/3 cups (1lb) plain flour, extra for dusting
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 2 tbsp (1oz) Kerrygold Salted Butter, chilled and diced
- 1 cup (8fl oz) buttermilk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Kerrygold butter curls and strawberry jam, to serve