- 1 kg onions – roughly chopped in chunks
- 1 kg potatoes –well scrubbed
- 30g Avonmore Butter
- 100ml Avonmore Milk
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 1 x 250ml carton Avonmore Cooking Cream
- 150g Avomore Cheddar Cheese – grated
- Steam or boil the potatoes until they are tender
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a heavy bottomed pan that can go in the oven, add the onions and sprinkle over the fresh thyme. Cook the onions slowly over a low heat for 30-40 minutes until they have turned a deep, golden brown colour, turning them occasionally.
- Drain the potatoes and roughly chop them in the pot with a knife, leaving some chunks, add the butter and milk and season well with salt and pepper, stir well to combine
- Top the onions with the potatoes and pour over the contents of the carton of Avonmore Cooking Cream, sprinkle with the cheese and bake in a preheated oven at 200°C for 30 minutes
- This is a great dish for a meat free night, served with lots of hot, buttered kale and broccoli. Alternatively it makes a hearty meal to add to some meaty sausages or pork chops, enjoy it immediately to make the most of the creamy potatoes and sweet onions.