- 450g cooked, mashed potatoes
- 75g flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablesp. scallions, finely chopped
- Salt, pepper and nutmeg
- 50g butter, melted
- 125 ml soured cream
- 1 tablesp. dill, chopped
- Salt and black pepper
Mix the potato, flour, eggs, scallions, salt, pepper, nutmeg and half the butter. Mix well together and shape into 12 small potato cakes. Heat the remaining butter in a non-stick pan and then cook the potato cakes until browned on each side. The cakes can be served immediately or kept overnight in the fridge. 15 minutes before serving reheat in a hot oven.
Mix the soured cream, dill and seasoning. Place a slice of smoked salmon on each potato cake and top with the cream mixture.
For the Salmon
- 100 gr/ 3.5 oz Flahavans Organic Porridge Oats
- 4 tbsp flour
- 2 egg whites
- 4 * 170 gr /6 oz Clare Island organic salmon fillet
- Dust the salmon with flour and remove excess, then dip in the egg white and finally in the oatmeal.
- Dust off any excess oatmeal while you prepare the potato cakes and sauce. Place in fridge
- 300 gr /10 oz cooked potato
- 30 gr / 1 oz parsley
- 10 gr/ 0.5 oz tarragon
- 1 banana shallot*, peeled
- Salt and pepper
- Pick and wash the parsley and tarragon and chop finely
- Finely chop the shallot and to the potato with the herbs, season with salt and pepper and crush with a fork. Place into metal ring moulds to shape and then place in fridge to firm up
* banana shallots are the long bulb varieties of shallots or onions
- 1 tsp capers
- 1 tsp gherkins
- 4 anchovies
- 1 banana shallot, sliced
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley
- ½ bunch tarragon
- ½ bunch basil
- 200 ml/ 6 fl oz olive oil
- Lemon juice to taste
- Pick, wash and dry the herbs
- Place the capers, mustard, gherkins, shallot and mustard in the liquidizer. Turn on the machine and blitz for one minute
- Add the herbs and turn machine on again, slowly adding the oil. Add the lemon juice and a pinch of salt if required
Fry the potato cakes in a little olive oil and clarified butter until golden brown on each side. Place in oven to keep warm. Season the salmon with a little salt and cook in the same pan about 3 minutes each side until nicely coloured.
Place the potato cakes in the middle of each plate and put a piece of salmon next to it. Drizzle the herb sauce around the plate and serve with some creamed spinach if required.