- 225g (8 oz) butter
- 225g (8 oz) sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 75g (3 oz) ground almonds
- 100g (4 oz) plain flour
- 100g (4 oz)dried apricots, chopped in the food processor
- 3 Quality Assured large eggs, beaten
Oranges in caramel
- 4 large oranges, peeled and sliced
- 4 tablesp. sugar
- 125ml (¼ pint) water
Set oven 180°C (350°F) Gas Mark 4
Line a shallow 23cm cake tin with baking parchment.
Beat the butter and sugar together, until light and fluffy, add the lemon juice and ground almonds. Fold in the flour, apricots and eggs. Transfer the mixture to the lined cake tin, smooth the top and bake for approx. 35 mins., until firm to the touch.
Place the oranges in a flat dish, heat the sugar in a heavy pan, allow the sugar to brown add the water and boil until you have a caramel sauce. Pour it over the oranges. Serve with the cake
A sticky Greek cake that tastes a little like the much more complicated Greek dessert Baklava
Thanks to Angela for this simple cake recipe that kids just love.
- 1 cup of plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of orange zest
- 3/4 cup of butter
- 3/4 cup of white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 1 cup of chopped walnuts
- 1 cup of Haughton Honey
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 3/4 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 175c/350F. Grease and lightly flour a 9″ square cake tin. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and orange rind. Set this to one side.
- In a large bowl mix together the butter and the sugar with a whisk until light and fluffy. Then blend in the eggs one at a time. Gently blend in the flour mixture prepared earlier with the milk and stir in the walnuts.
- Pour the batter in to the prepared tin. Place in the preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool for 15 minutes and then cut the cake into diamond shapes before pouring the honey syrup over. Decorate with lemon zest if you wish.
- To make the honey syrup combine the honey, 1 cup of white sugar and 3/4 cup of water. Bring slowly to a gentle simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and continue cooking for a further 2 minutes. Keep warm before pouring on to the cake.
Notes for the cook: if you have a fan-assisted oven then reduce the specified temperature in the recipe by about 15% ~ 1 teaspoon = 5ml and 1 tablespoon = 15ml ~ some ingredients are measured in cups and some equivalents are; 150g, 6oz (1/2 cup) = 120ml, 4fl oz