Oatmeal bars (or just oats in general) are great for boosting your energy and giving you a much-needed top up of fibre, known to lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease. And apart from being full of health-benefits, added with flavours of cinnamon and vanilla, these oatmeal bars make a tasty snack to eat on the go anywhere.
- 2 sticks (226g) unsalted room temp butter
- 2 x 2/3 cups of white sugar
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp grounded cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 tsp baking powder
- 1 big jar black cherry preserve
- Pre-heat the oven to 350ºF / 175ºC.
- Grease a baking pan (I used a 20 x 20 cm / 8 x 8 in) with butter and leave to the side.
- Cream the butter and sugar together really well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Press half of the mixture into the bottom of the baking pan.
- Spread the preserves over it in an even layer.
- Crumble the remaining mixture, with your hands, over the raspberry preserves.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until lightly golden brown.
- Cool completely before cutting.
If you can’t get hold of any Black Cherry preserve then it’s just as easy to make your own – if not easier as you don’t need to leave the house! All you need is pitted black cherries, sugar and lemon. Glaze the cherries with sugar and leave for a couple of hours then simmer on a low heat for 1 hour.