Ingredients (Serves 4-6)
For The Oatcakes:
- 100g (3½ oz) Flahavan’s Organic Porridge Oats,
- 100g (3½ oz) plain flour
- 50g (2oz) lard or butter, diced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3-4 tbsp. cold water
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. milk
For The Cheese:
- 220g (8oz) Camembert in a wooden box, at room temperature
- 1 small garlic clove, cut into wafer-thin slices
- 1/2 tsp. thyme sprigs
- crab apple jelly
- freshly ground black pepper
For the oatcakes:
- Mix the oats and flour in a bowl. Rub in the lard or butter, then add the salt and enough cold water to form a soft dough.
- Roll out the dough thinly on a flour dusted work surface.
- Cut out circles with a 6cm (2½ in) straight-sided cutter. This should make about 20 in total.
- Beat together the egg and milk to form a glaze.
- Place a batch of the oatcakes in a large frying pan at a medium heat.
- Immediately brush the tops of the oatcakes in the pan with glaze – it will turn to a shiny coating as they cook. Cook for about 20 minutes turning after about 15min.
- They can also be baked with the tops glazed in the oven for 12-14 minutes at 180˚C (350°F/Gas mark 4).
- Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool.
For the cheese:
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C (400˚F/Gas mark 6).
- Remove all the plastic wrapping from the cheese and replace it in the bottom of its wooden box after lining it with parchment paper.
- Using a small sharp knife make small slashes all over the top of the cheese.
- Push one of garlic slices into each cut, followed by a thyme sprig and then add a small teaspoon of the crab apple jelly and grind over with black pepper.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the cheese has slightly melted.
- Serve with the oatcakes and crab apple jelly.