Our veggie rolls with a mushroom & pearl barley filling definitely hit the spot!
Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan and soften the shallots, fennel and garlic for 5 minutes, and remember to keep stirring.
Add the mushrooms and cook on a high heat for 3 minutes, stirring regularly. Sprinkle over the paprika and mix well. Pour in the vegetable stock and tamari.
Bring to the boil and bubble for about 5 minutes, or unti the sauce reduced to a thick sauce.
Remove from the heat and stir through the Avonmore Cooking Cream, lemon juice and peas.
Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
Garnish with the broccoli shoots and serve with quinoa or wholegrain basmati rice.
Tip: When cooking the quinoa add a 1/4 teaspoon of ground turmeric for an apetising colour. If you prefer you can use wholegrain basmati rice instead of the quinoa.
Did you know that oats are so versatile and that they can be used to create delicious breakfasts as well as flavourful dinners? This month, why not challenge yourself to create one savoury oat-based recipe like our Mushroom Oatsotto Porridge?
Follow our recipe below and let us know how you get on!
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Difficulty Level: Medium
• 1 L vegetable stock
• 115g unsalted butter
• 1 banana shallot, peeled and finely chopped
• 1/2 tsp sea salt
• 175g portobello mushrooms, roughly chopped
• 175g chestnut mushrooms, roughly chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
• 100ml white wine
• 100g Flahavan’s Organic Porridge Oats
• 50g Flahavan’s Organic Jumbo Oats (plus a handful toasted for garnish)
• 100g Parmesan cheese, grated
• 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
• sautéed baby spinach and fried wild mushrooms, for garnish
1. In a medium saucepan, heat the vegetable stock over medium heat until simmering, then reduce heat to low and keep covered.
2. Meanwhile, melt 100g of the butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat before adding the shallot and salt. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Meanwhile, pre-heat the oven to 180ºC.
3. Add all the mushrooms, garlic and thyme and cook (stirring frequently) until mushrooms are deeply browned, stirring frequently. Add the wine and cook for 1 minute.
4. Reduce heat to medium and add the Flahavan’s Organic Jumbo and Organic Porridge Oats then cook for a minute while stirring. Add 2 ladles of hot stock and cook, stirring until oats have absorbed almost all of the liquid. Continue adding stock, 1 ladle at a time, and stirring until absorbed (approx. 20 minutes)
5. While this is cooking toast the extra handful of jumbo oats in the oven for approx. 10 mins until golden then set aside.
6. If needed, add some water to the risotto until all oats are tender. Once tender, turn off the heat.
7. To finish, stir in the 100g parmesan cheese and the remaining butter. Serve in warm bowls and top with the parsley, toasted oats and extra Parmesan if desired.