- 1 pound all-purpose flour (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 13 to 16 ounces buttermilk (depending on the consistency of the buttermilk)
450g/1lb Odlums Cream Plain Flour
1 level teaspoon Bread Soda/Bicarbonate of Soda
1 level teaspoon Cream of Tartar or Bextartar
Pinch of Salt
1 tablespoon of Sugar (optional)
300ml/½ pint Buttermilk or Sour Milk (approx.)
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 5-6.
2. Dust an 8”/ 20cm deep cake tin with flour.
3. Sift the flour, salt, bread soda and cream of tartar into a bowl and add sugar if used.
4. Rub in the margarine. Then, add enough milk to make a soft dough.
5. Turn onto a lightly floured board and knead a little.
6. Turn the smooth side up. Place into tin. Cut a cross over the top.
7. Bake in an oven for 40-45 minutes.
8. Cool on a wire tray. Cover with a dry tea towel to give a soft crust.