Social distancing means lots of baking…how about a lovely lemon and blueberry tart from @odlums_ireland
It would make the perfect wee gift for mammy’s day…just leave it at her door step and keep your distance 😷🤪 BASE
225g/8oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
125g/4oz Butter (room temperature)
75g/3oz Shamrock Golden Caster Sugar
Egg wash (beaten egg)
125g/4oz Shamrock Golden Caster Sugar
100g packet Shamrock Ground Almonds
Rind of 2 Lemons
Juice of 1 Lemon
170ml Fresh Cream
Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5. Lightly grease a flan dish 23cm/9″.
Make the base by beating together the butter and sugar until creamy. Then beat in the egg. Finally stir in the flour and mix to a soft dough. Cover and place in the fridge to chill for about 30 minutes.
Roll out pastry on a floured surface and use to line the prepared dish. Prick well with a fork. Cover with greaseproof paper or tin foil and place some rice or beans on top to keep pastry from rising during baking.
Remove from oven after 20 minutes and reduce oven temperature to 140°C/275°F/Gas 1. Brush pastry case with some egg wash while hot.
Next beat the eggs, sugar, ground almonds and cream. Then stir in the lemon rind and juice.
Pour into pastry case and bake for about 40 minutes until golden and firm to the touch.
When cool, dust with icing sugar.
Cook Time20 mins
What you need:
- 200g/7oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
- 200g/7oz Butter (at room temperature)
- 200g/7oz Shamrock Golden Caster Sugar
- 1 level teaspoon Odlums Baking Powder
- 4 Eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons Milk
- 125g/4oz Butter (room temperature)
- 175g/6oz Icing Sugar
- Few drops Goodall’s Vanilla Essence (optional)
- Jar of good quality Raspberry Jam
- Icing Sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Grease and base line two 18-20cm/7-8″ sandwich tins.
- In a large bowl, beat all the cake ingredients together to form a smooth soft batter.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared tins and smooth the top with back of spoon. Bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown and the cake springs back when pressed.
- Turn onto a wire tray or cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the filling by beating the butter until smooth, then gradually beat in the icing sugar. Finally, beat in the vanilla essence, if used.
- Spread the buttercream filling over the base of one of the sponges, spread the jam over the other and sandwich the two.
- Dust with icing sugar before serving.
- Store in an airtight container and enjoy within 3 days.
What you need:
- 225g / 8oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Odlums Bread Soda (sieved)
- 125g / 4oz Caster Sugar
- 2 Large Bananas (Mashed)
- 2 Tablespoons Kelkin Smooth Peanut butter
- 150ml / ¼ pint Almond Milk
- 1 Teaspoon Kelkin Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Sunflower Oil
- 2 Teaspoons Goodall’s Vanilla Extract
- 6 teaspoons Nutella
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/280°F/ Gas 4. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases.
2. Put the flour, sugar and bread soda into a bowl and mix well.
3. In a separate bowl beat the mashed bananas, peanut butter, milk, vinegar, oil and vanilla.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the beaten ‘wet’ mixture and gently stir to combine.
5. Fill the muffin cases with a tablespoon of mixture for each muffin. Top each one with a half a teaspoon of Nutella and swirl it with a cocktail stick or knife.
6. Bake for about 15 minutes until risen and golden brown.
7. Remove from the oven and leave in tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire tray to cool completely before storing.