It’s my 100% sourdough version of ‘bairín breac’ or ‘barm brack’… Cranberries apricots and raisins soaked in spiced chai tea… a little bit of rye for flavour and topped with a spiced tea glaze 👌
Perfect with a cuppa ☕…
- 225g (8oz) plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 150g (5oz) caster sugar
- 75g (3oz) Flahavan’s Oat Bran
- 100g (4oz) cranberries
- 25g (1oz) icing sugar
- sifted Zest of an orange
- 1 egg
- Beaten 300ml (½ pint)of Milk
- 50g (2oz) melted butter or sunflower oilMethod:
- Sift the flour into a bowl with the baking powder. Add the sugar and the oat bran and mix. Toss the cranberries into the icing sugar. Add to the bowl with orange zest and stir to mix.
- Place the egg, milk and melted butter or sunflower oil into another bowl and beat lightly. Stir into the dry ingredients. Just do this casually – there is no need to over mix.
- Line a muffin tin with baking cases. Spoon the mixture into the lined muffin tin.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°C /400°F / Gas Mark 6 for around 15 minutes – or until risen and golden.Serve warm or cold. Quick Tip Oat Bran is also great as a coating for fish before frying.