- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Lightly grease 2 flat baking trays.
- Sieve the flour, salt and baking powder into a bowl.
- Rub in the butter or margarine until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar and coconut and mix well.
- Mix to a fairly stiff consistency with the egg and milk. Drop dessertspoonfuls of the mixture, spaced apart on the prepared tins. Makes about 12.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until risen and golden brown. Remove from oven and transfer buns to wire tray to cool.
- Brush the top with jam and dip in the extra coconut.