225g/8oz Odlums Gluten Free Tritamyl Self Raising Flour
125g/4oz Caster Sugar
2 Tablespoons Milk
1 Teaspoon Goodalls Vanilla Essence
2 Tablespoons Poppy Seeds
Grated Rind of Lemon
175g/6oz Icing Sugar
Juice of Lemon
- Preheat oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas 3. Grease and base line a 900g/2lb Loaf tin.
- Cream margarine and sugar together in a bowl. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, and next beat in the milk with vanilla essence.
- Gently stir in the flour until completely combined and finally stir in the poppy seeds and lemon rind.
- Transfer to the prepared tin and bake for about 45 minutes until golden brown and a knife inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- While cake is baking prepare the glaze by heating the sugar and lemon juice over a low heat stirring occasionally until sugar has dissolved.
- When cake is baked allow it to stay in the tin to “set” for 10 minutes then pierce top of cake with a fork or toothpick and pour over the glaze.
- When completely cold store in an airtight container.
This choca-mocha cake recipe is a crowd-pleaser.
“I’ve never been a hardened coffee drinker, so a mocha – that moreish combination of coffee and chocolate – is my go-to hot drink,” says food writer Sarah Rainey.
“This recipe combines these two favourite ﬂavours in a moist, fudgey cake, topped with a super-speedy coffee icing that you can drizzle on while it’s still hot.”
Choca-mocha cake recipe 6-minute Showstoppers by Sarah Rainey