Cook Time3 hours
What you need:
- 225g/8oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour (sieved)
- 175g/6oz Butter or Margarine
- 225g/8oz Shamrock Dark Muscovado Sugar
- 350g packet Shamrock Sultanas
- 350g packet Shamrock Fruit Mix
- 100g tub Shamrock Cherries
- 100g packet Shamrock Chopped Almonds
- 100g packet Shamrock Ground Almonds
- 3 large Eggs
- Rind and Juice of 1 Orange
- 1 teaspoon Goodall’s Mixed Spice
- 2 baby bottles of Brandy
- Put butter/margarine, sugar, fruit, rind, juice and one baby bottle of the brandy into a large saucepan.
- Slowly bring to the boil, stirring occasionally, until the butter/margarine has melted.
- Turn off heat and leave to cool for approx 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile pre-heat oven to 140°C/275°F/Gas 1 and line an 8″/20cm round deep cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Stir the eggs, nuts and ground almonds into the fruit mixture and mix well.
- Finally, stir in the sieved flour and mixed spice.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin and smooth it out evenly – the back of a metal spoon dipped in water is handy for this!
- Bake for 2½-3 hours approx. After 2 hours, cover with paper if cake is browning too quickly. To check the cake is done, insert a skewer into the centre – if it comes out clean, the cake is cooked.
Light and fluffy chai slice on the counter this morning
What’s your favourite way to eat chocolate? We love this impressive but simple chocolate blueberry cake http://kerrygold.com/ie/recipes/chocolate-blueberry-cake/ …