- 24 asparagus spears
- 8 eggs
- 450 g swiss cheese, such as gruyère or emmental (thinly sliced)
- 8 slices of cooked ham
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 100 g plain flour
- 1 egg
- 300 ml milk
- sunflower oil (for frying)
- sea salt
- black pepper (freshly ground)
- Sift the flour and a pinch of salt into a bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the egg and whisk well with a balloon whisk.
- Gradually beat in the milk, drawing in the flour from the sides to make a smooth batter. Leave to rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, trim the asparagus spears and blanch in a pan of boiling water for 1–2 minutes, until almost tender but still with a slight bite.
- Drain and refresh under cold running water to prevent them from cooking any further and set aside until needed.
- Heat a little oil in an 18cm (7in) heavy-based pancake or frying pan. Pour in just enough batter to thinly coat the base of the pan.
- Cook over a moderately high heat for about 1 minute, until golden brown. Turn or toss the crêpe and break in an egg, then gently whisk to spread it evenly all over the crêpe.
- Season to taste.