Honey & Oat Quick Bread
What you need:
- 200g/7oz Odlums Coarse Wholemeal Flour
- 175g/6oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
- 50g/2oz Odlums Porridge Oats, plus extra for dusting
- 1 level teaspoon Odlums Bread Soda
- 250g carton Yoghurt
- 1 Egg
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3 tablespoons Honey
- 150ml/¼pt Milk
- Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5. Lightly grease a 900g/2lb loaf tin and sprinkle some oats inside the tin.
- Put the wholemeal flour, plain flour and oats into a large mixing bowl and mix well. Sieve in the bread soda and mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl beat together the yoghurt, egg, olive oil, honey and milk. Add to the dry ingredients and combine together gently until all dry ingredients are moistened.
- Transfer to the prepared tin and sprinkle the extras oats on top, then make a cut down the centre with a knife.
- Bake in a central position in the oven for 40-45 minutes until well risen and golden brown. Loaf is baked when tapping underneath produces a hollow sound.
- Turn onto a wire tray to cool. Delicious served warm with butter and a drizzle of honey.
225g/8oz Odlums Gluten Free Tritamyl Self Raising Flour
125g/4oz Caster Sugar
2 Tablespoons Milk
1 Teaspoon Goodalls Vanilla Essence
2 Tablespoons Poppy Seeds
Grated Rind of Lemon
175g/6oz Icing Sugar
Juice of Lemon
- Preheat oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas 3. Grease and base line a 900g/2lb Loaf tin.
- Cream margarine and sugar together in a bowl. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, and next beat in the milk with vanilla essence.
- Gently stir in the flour until completely combined and finally stir in the poppy seeds and lemon rind.
- Transfer to the prepared tin and bake for about 45 minutes until golden brown and a knife inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- While cake is baking prepare the glaze by heating the sugar and lemon juice over a low heat stirring occasionally until sugar has dissolved.
- When cake is baked allow it to stay in the tin to “set” for 10 minutes then pierce top of cake with a fork or toothpick and pour over the glaze.
- When completely cold store in an airtight container.
Banana and Berry Oat Bread… What weekends are made for!
Makes 12 slices
Preparation 10 mins cooking time 45 mins
125g Greek yogurt
2 bananas mashed – ripe work better
100g Keelings berries (strawberries, raspberries and blueberries would all work with this bread)
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
100g brown sugar
200g self raising flour
100g Flahavan’s Progress Oats
75g Flahavan’s Oat Bran
Preheat the oven to 180”C.
Combine the yogurt, bananas, berries and eggs together and mixed well.
Stir in the vanilla and brown sugar until combined.
Fold in the flour and Oat Bran then follow with the oats.
Transfer the mixture to a bread pan and then bake for 40-45 minutes or until cooked through.
Remove and allow to cool for about 10 minutes before removing from the pan and transferring to a cooling rack.
Cook Time1 hour
What you need:
- 225g/8oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
- ½ teaspoon Goodall’s Mixed Spice
- 125g/4oz Butter or Margarine
- 50g/2oz Shamrock Mixed Peel
- 50g/2oz Shamrock Sultanas
- 50g/2oz Shamrock Chopped Walnuts (optional)
- 450g/1lb Bananas
- 1 tablespoon Rowse Honey (runny)
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Lightly grease a 900g/2lb loaf tin.
- Place the flour and spice into a mixing bowl, add the butter or margarine and rub in until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the mixed peel, sultanas and walnuts, if desired.
- Mash the bananas with the honey, stir gently into the mixture with the beaten eggs. Mix well.
- Transfer to prepared tin and bake for about 1 hour until well risen and golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in tin for 10 minutes. Turn onto wire tray to cool completely.
- When cold wrap in greaseproof paper and tin foil.
350g/12oz Odlums Coarse Wholemeal
25g/1oz Odlums Wheat Bran
1 tablespoon Shamrock Light Muscovado Sugar
or Rowse Honey
Pinch of Salt
1 teaspoon Shamrock Bread Soda (sieved)
1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
300ml / ½ pint Milk
125g Carton Yoghurt (Natural or Hazelnut)
1. Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Grease a 900g/2lb loaf tin.
2. Put wholemeal, wheat bran, sugar, salt and sieved bread soda into a mixing bowl and mix well together.
3. Add the oil, milk and yoghurt and stir until well blended. Mixture will be quite “wet”.
4. Transfer to the prepared tin and bake for 45 minutes – 1 hour. Bread is baked when tapped underneath and it has a hollow sound.
5. Wrap in a clean tea towel and allow to cool.
6. Bread cuts better if left until the next day.
The following can be mixed in with the dry ingredients:
50g/2oz Shamrock Apricots (chopped)
Handful of Shamrock Chopped Walnuts
1 Tablespoon of Sunflower Seeds
Sprinkle Odlums Oatflakes or sesame seeds on top of bread before baking.