Blueberries and Cream Steel Cut Oatmeal https://cookingwithawallflower.com/2018/07/03/blueberries-cream-steel-cut-oatmeal/ …
- 8 egg whites
- 500g caster sugar
- 1 teasp. white wine vinegar
- 1 teasp. vanilla extract.
Summer Fruits & Cream Filling
- 400g strawberries
- 200g raspberries
- 200g blueberries
- 200g blackberries
- 250g caster sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 500g mascarpone cheese
- 250g Compsey Greek-style yoghurt
- Grated rind of one lemon
For the meringues
Set the oven to 100ºC and line 2 baking sheets with parchment. Combine the egg whites, sugar, vinegar and vanilla extract. In the electric mixer, with the whisk attachment, beat the whites into stiff shiny peaks. Using a piping bag, pie mounds of meringue 7cm in diameter and 7 cm high onto the baking sheets. Bake for about 2 hours. Cool to room temperature.
Prepare the fruit and add half the berries to a medium saucepan, add the sugar and lemon juice and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Process the fruit mixture. Set aside.
Whisk the mascarpone, yoghurt and lemon rind together.
Tap the centre of each meringue to form a nest. Warm the coulis in a saucepan. Turn off the heat and add the remaining whole berries. Spoon the cream filling into the centre of each meringue, followed by several spoonfuls of the fruit.
- 125g/4oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
- 25g/1oz Odlums Wheat Bran
- 2 Teaspoons Odlums Baking Powder
- 1 Egg (separated)
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 tablespoon Rowse Honey
- 150ml/¼ pint Milk
- 125g/4oz Blueberries
- Oil for frying
- Sieve flour and baking powder into a bowl. Add the bran and mix well.
- Add the pinch of salt to the egg white and stiffly beat. Mix the egg yolk, honey and milk together. Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and beat well.
- Finally, ‘fold’ in the egg white and the blueberries.
- Heat a little oil on a pan and drop spoonfuls of the mixture onto pan.
- When mixture is puffed and bubbling on top, turn and cook on other side.
- Serve hot or cold.
Serve with low fat blueberry yogurt.
Crème fraiche and fresh fruit
Drizzle with Rowse Honey.