Queen Cakes, Fairy Cakes or Buns
CategoryBaking with Kids
Cook Time15 mins
What you need:
- 175g/6oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
- 125g/4oz Shamrock Golden Caster Sugar
- 125g/4oz Butter or Margarine (half a block)
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tablespoons Cold Water
- Glacé Icing or Chocolate Spread
- Hundreds and Thousands
- Glacé Cherries
- Ensure oven is fully preheated to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6.
- Next, put bun paper cases into bun tins.
- Put the flour, sugar, butter/margarine, eggs and water into a bowl. Beat all the ingredients together with an electric mixer or wooden spoon until the mixture is smooth.
- Put heaped teaspoons of the mixture into each bun case.
- Place in the oven on the top shelf and bake for about 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire tray. When cold, decorate as liked with your favourite toppings.
🌟🍪 Chocolate Chip Cookies🍪 🌟
- To make the doughnuts, place the gluten-free flour, caster sugar, salt and yeast in a large mixing bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Add the milk and butter and, using your hands or a wooden spoon, combine the ingredients until you have a dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and knead for 8–10 minutes until it becomes smooth.
- Form the dough into a smooth ball and place it back in the bowl.
- Cover with a tea towel and leave in a warm, dark place to rise for about 1-2 hours until the dough has risen.
- Once the dough has risen tip out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Divide into 12 pieces and shape into balls and flatten. Place on a lightly floured tray, cover with a cloth again and allow to prove for another 10-15 minutes.
- Fill a large-sized pan with sunflower oil and heat to about 160˚C.
- Drop the doughnuts into the oil, 2-3 at a time, and fry on each side until golden brown.
- Remove to a paper towel-lined plate and continue frying until all doughnuts are done.
- Place the caster sugar in a large bowl and toss each doughnut in caster sugar once cooked and allow to cool.
- Once cooled fill with the Nutella chocolate filling.
- Pierce them with a small knife and then using a piping bag and small nozzle pipe the Nutella into the centre.
- Drizzle over more of it on top of them and then finish with the mini marshmallows. Enjoy.
Competition lines have now reopened for any budding chefs aged 8-14 to win a place on our next live zoom cook along with @nevenmaguire taking place Friday 9th April at 3:30pm!
Enter now through the link in our bio. Lines close this Thursday 25th of March at 5:30pm and winners will be notified on Friday 26th of March.
Don’t worry if you don’t win a place this time, sessions will be running until June!
Competition lines are now open for our next Learn to Cook with @nevenmaguire zoom session! This time we will be picking two sets of winners for sessions taking place on Friday April 30th and Friday May 7th.
Competition lines close for both dates this Thursday the 15th at 5:30pm. Winners will be allocated one of the dates at random and will be notified this Friday 16th of April.
For more information and to enter visit the Bord Bia website or through the link in our bio!6h