I absolutely adore this pudding from Bill’s book, Simply Bill. He made this when I appeared with him on Great Food Live, and as soon as I tasted it I was hooked. I have adapted the recipe slightly to fit the pie dish that I have. To make this for 12 people, double this recipe and cook in a 10-inch square gratin dish for 55 minutes.
FOR THE PUDDING:
1 cup (4 oz) all-purpose flour
3 tbsp baking powder
1/2 cup (4 oz) superfine sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 banana, mashed
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
6 tbsp (3/4 stick) Kerrygold Butter, melted
FOR THE TOPPING:
1/2 cup (4 oz) light brown sugar
2 tbsp corn syrup
2/3 cup boiling water
Softly whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
Preheat the oven 350°F (180°C). Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl. Add the sugar. Mix together the beaten egg, mashed banana, milk, vanilla extract and melted butter. Pour mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Pour this wet dough into a 9-inch pie dish and place the dish on a baking sheet.
To make the topping, put the brown sugar, corn syrup and boiling water in a saucepan. Bring to the boil and then drizzle over the pudding. Bake for 30–40 minutes, or until it feels slightly firm in the center. Serve with softly whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. If you’re not going to serve the pudding immediately, keep it somewhere warm until you are ready—it sits quite happily.
- 125g/4oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
- 25g/1oz Odlums Wheat Bran
- 2 Teaspoons Odlums Baking Powder
- 1 Egg (separated)
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 tablespoon Rowse Honey
- 150ml/¼ pint Milk
- 125g/4oz Blueberries
- Oil for frying
- Sieve flour and baking powder into a bowl. Add the bran and mix well.
- Add the pinch of salt to the egg white and stiffly beat. Mix the egg yolk, honey and milk together. Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and beat well.
- Finally, ‘fold’ in the egg white and the blueberries.
- Heat a little oil on a pan and drop spoonfuls of the mixture onto pan.
- When mixture is puffed and bubbling on top, turn and cook on other side.
- Serve hot or cold.
Serve with low fat blueberry yogurt.
Crème fraiche and fresh fruit
Drizzle with Rowse Honey.