Great dessert or brunch dish
Cooking time: 10 min
- 4 eggs
- 125 ml milk
- 8 slices bread (brioche if possible)
- A little butter for cooking
- 8 ripe plums, halves and stoned
- 2 tablesp. sugar
- Maple Syrup
Mix the eggs and milk together then pour the mixture in to a shallow dish. Soak the bread in the mixture for a few minutes. Heat a large pan , add a little butter and cook the French toast until golden on both sides. Heat another pan , dip the plums into the sugar then place cut side down on the hot pan and allow the sugar to caramelize but don’t let it burn! When all the plums are ready serve with the French toast and maple syrup.
Nutritional Analysis per Serving
Protein: 14 g
Carbohydrates: 80 g
Fat: 11 g
Iron: 2.5 mg
Energy: 473 kcal
4 Slices of Bread
2 Eggs (beaten)
4 Tablespoons Milk
1 Tablespoon Caster Sugar
Butter for frying
Punnet of Blueberries & Raspberries
50g/2oz Shamrock Walnuts (roughly chopped)
- Beat the eggs, milk and sugar well in a bowl, then transfer to a large shallow dish (so you can easily dip in a slice of bread)
- Dip each side of bread in the batter and allow to soak for a few seconds.
- Heat a knob of butter in a pan over a medium heat. Fry both sides of the bread until golden brown.
- Put 2 slices of hot toast on a plate, cover with sliced banana, drizzle with maple syrup or honey and sprinkle with the walnuts.
- If serving a large number keep the toast warm in a preheated oven 130°C/250°F/Gas ½!
The toast can be used for both sweet and savoury recipes! If savoury, omit the sugar and add a pinch of salt and pepper.
This is a great way to use up stale bread!!