- 175g/6oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
- 175g/6oz Margarine (at room temperature)
- 175g/6oz Caster Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 4 tablespoons Instant Coffee (dissolved in 1 tablespoon of boiling water, then cooled)
- 50g/2oz Shamrock Chopped Walnuts (optional)
- 125g/4oz Icing Sugar (sieved)
- 50g/2oz Butter or tubbed Margarine (at room temperature)
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee (dissolved in 1 teaspoon of boiling water, then cooled)
- A few whole Shamrock Walnuts
This recipe can be made in:
2 x 18cm/7″ Sandwich Tins 1x 2lb Loaf Tin (23cm x 11cm x 7cm/9″ x 4″ x 3″ approx.) 23cm/9″ Ring Tin
- Grease and base line the tin or tins with greaseproof paper.Pre-heat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
- Place all the ingredients for the cake — flour, margarine, sugar, eggs, coffee and walnuts (if used) into a mixing bowl.
- Beat all ingredients together until mixture is smooth.
- Transfer to the prepared tin or tins and bake as follows:
- Place Sandwich tins, in upper shelf position, for 30 minutes approx
- Place 2lb Loaf tin, in central oven position, for 50 minutes to 1 hour approx
- Place Ring Tin, in central position, for 30 minutes approx.
- Cake is baked when top is gently pressed and it springs back.
- Remove from tin and cool on a wire tray.
To Make icing /filing:
- Beat all ingredients together until smooth and use to sandwich the cake or for topping or both!