Anna Haugh’s meat feast medley combines sausagemeat stuffing, pancetta and chicken breast, all in one neat parcel.
For the potatoes
For the stuffed chicken
- 200g/7oz sausagemeat
- 1 large sprig parsley, finely chopped
- 50g/1¾oz hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 4 skinless chicken breasts, sliced horizontally to create a pocket in the thickest part of the breast
- 12 slices smoked pancetta
For the mushroom sauce
- 100g/3½oz salted butter, plus extra to finish the sauce
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 10 sage leaves
- 450g/1lb girolle mushrooms, cleaned
- 200ml/7fl oz chicken stock
- Preheat the oven to 190C/170C Fan/Gas 5.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil, add the potatoes and cook for 10 minutes until par-boiled, not fully cooked through. Remove and allow to cool whilst you prepare the rest of the dish.
- Combine the sausagemeat, hazelnuts and parsley in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Divide the sausagemeat filling between the pockets in each chicken breast. Season the chicken with a pinch of salt and roll each chicken breast in 3 slices of pancetta. Place the chicken breasts on a baking tray and bake for 10–15 minutes, depending on the thickness of the breast. When the chicken is cooked through, remove from the oven and rest for 5 minutes.
- Grate the par-boiled potatoes on a box grater. Meanwhile, put a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the olive oil, then the grated potato, garlic powder, onion powder and a pinch of salt and fry until golden.
- In a separate pan, melt the butter and add the garlic and sage leaves. Fry until the leaves are wilted, then add the mushrooms and a pinch of salt. Cook for 1–2 minutes until golden.
- Add the chicken stock and reduce to a sauce consistency. You can add an extra knob of butter to finish the sauce, if you like.
- To serve, place the fried potato on a serving plate. Carve the chicken and arrange on top, finishing with the mushroom sauce.