The delicate flavour of the scallops and the crisp pastry are a lovely combination
- 2 x sheets of puff pastry, each about
- 30 x 20cm (12 x 8 inches)
- Egg wash, made with 1 egg, beaten with 1 tsp milk
- 8 fresh scallops
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- 1 tsp finely shredded tarragon leaves
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp ground black pepper
- 200g (7oz) lamb’s lettuce (mache) or baby leaves or greens
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Lemon wedges
- Preheat the oven to 190oC/375oF/gas mark 5. Grease a baking sheet.
- Roll out the puff pastry and, using a 10cm (4-inch) diameter biscuit (cookie) cutter, cut out four large circles. Place them on the prepared sheet and brush with the egg wash.
- Slice the scallops into discs that are about 1cm (. inch) thick. Place them on the pastry circles so that they are slightly overlapping, drizzle with a little of the olive oil, sprinkle with tarragon and season with salt and black pepper.
- Bake for 12–15 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and the scallops are just cooked. Remove from the oven, drizzle with some more olive oil and serve immediately with lemon-dressed lamb’s lettuce and lemon wedges.