This traditional sponge pudding is excellent comfort food and is on most people’s list of favorite childhood desserts. It can be baked before dinner and then left at room temperature until needed. Pop back into the oven to warm through to serve.
- 2 cups (10oz) fresh rhubarb stalks, trimmed and cut into chunks
- 2 cups(8oz) large strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1 ½ cups (10oz) caster sugar
- 1 piece stem ginger in syrup, drained and finely chopped (optional)
- 1 cup (6oz) plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 12 tbsp (6oz) Kerrygold Salted Butter, at room temperature
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- warm custard, to serve
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C), Gas mark 4. Arrange the rhubarb and strawberries in a 9in (23cm) deep-dish pie plate and sprinkle over ½ cup (4oz) (100g) of the sugar and the stem ginger, if using.
Sift the flour into a bowl with the baking powder. Place the butter in a separate bowl with the remaining sugar and beat with a hand-held mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract and then fold in the flour mixture.
Carefully spread the cake mixture over the fruit and bake for about 40 minutes or until the sponge is well risen and golden and an inserted skewer comes out clean.
To serve, spoon the rhubarb and strawberry sponge pudding into warmed bowls and pour over some custard.