Cook Time20 mins
What you need:
- 200g/7oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
- 200g/7oz Butter (at room temperature)
- 200g/7oz Shamrock Golden Caster Sugar
- 1 level teaspoon Odlums Baking Powder
- 4 Eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons Milk
- 125g/4oz Butter (room temperature)
- 175g/6oz Icing Sugar
- Few drops Goodall’s Vanilla Essence (optional)
- Jar of good quality Raspberry Jam
- Icing Sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Grease and base line two 18-20cm/7-8″ sandwich tins.
- In a large bowl, beat all the cake ingredients together to form a smooth soft batter.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared tins and smooth the top with back of spoon. Bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown and the cake springs back when pressed.
- Turn onto a wire tray or cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the filling by beating the butter until smooth, then gradually beat in the icing sugar. Finally, beat in the vanilla essence, if used.
- Spread the buttercream filling over the base of one of the sponges, spread the jam over the other and sandwich the two.
- Dust with icing sugar before serving.
- Store in an airtight container and enjoy within 3 days.