What you need:
- 400g Odlums Strong Flour
- 2 TBLS Cocoa
- Pinch of salt
- 1 X 7g Dried yeast Sachet
- 50g/2oz Butter ,melted
- 50g/2oz Light Brown Sugar
- 1tsp Mixed spice
- ¼ tsp Grated Nutmeg
- 200ml Milk, warm
- 1 Egg beaten
- 150g/5oz White/Dark Chocolate chips
- 100g/3.5oz Cranberries
- ¼ cup runny honey or melted apricot jam to glaze
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4, line a baking tray with non-stick parchment.
- Place the melted butter in a medium bowl add the sugar, mixed spice, nutmeg and pinch of salt, stir in the warm milk add the egg and whisk well.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder into a large bowl, sprinkle on the yeast to one side of the bowl. Make a well in the middle of the flour and pour in the liquid, stir really well to bring the mixture into dough. Knead for 5 minutes until the dough forms a smooth mound.
- Stretch out the dough as flat as possible, sprinkle with the chocolate chips and cranberries, fold over the dough and knead for a further 5 minutes.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover with cling film and leave in a warm place to prove, it may take one or two hours, it should double in size.
- When the dough is ready, tip it onto a floured surface, knock it back and knead for a few minutes.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal buns, form into a neat round and place on the parchment repeat with the remaining pieces of dough leaving space between each bun.
- Cover with oiled cling film and allow rising once again, probably 30-40 minutes.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the buns spring back when touched, remove to a cooling rack. Brush with warmed runny honey.
- Pipe icing onto cooled buns in a cross and allow to dry.
Cooks Tips! Kids love these, great dusted with edible glitter or sprinkles.