Strawberry Shortcakes With Summer Whipped Cream
- Preheat the oven to 220ºC/gas mark 7/425ºF.
- Mix the flour, salt, baking powder and 3 tablespoons of the sugar in a bowl. Grate the butter into these dry ingredients and use your fingertips to finish crumbling the butter into the flour.
- Whisk the egg into the fresh cream, and pour into the flour mixture a little at a time, using a fork to mix.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and roll gently to a thickness of about 2cm / ¾ inch. Dip a 6½ cm / 2½ inch round cutter in flour and cut out as many rounds as you can. Work the scraps back into a dough, re-roll and finish cutting out.
- Place the shortcakes about 2½ cm / 1 inch apart on a baking sheet, brush the tops with the egg white, and sprinkle them with the remaining 2 tablespoons of caster sugar.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden-brown, and let them cool for a short while on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, crush half the strawberries with the spoonful of sugar, and halve or quarter the remaining strawberries, depending on their size..
- The shortcakes should be eaten while still warm, so split each one across the middle and cover with a spoonful of the crushed strawberry mixture, a few halved or quartered strawberries, then dollop on plenty of the Avonmore Summer Whipped cream.
- 325G of Plain Flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp of Baking Powder
- 5 tbsp caster sugar
- 125 g Avonmore Unsalted Butter (frozen)
- 1 Large Egg, beaten
- 125ml Avonmore Fresh Cream
- 1 Large Egg White (lightly beaten)
For The Filling
- 1 punnet strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 350ml Avonmore Summer Whipped Cream