- 4 chicken fillets
- 2 tablesp. rapeseed or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 1 yellow pepper, cut in strips
- 1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 teasp. sugar
- 400g tin of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Handful of coriander leaves, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teasp. ground cumin
- 1 teasp. smoked paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A green salad and couscous
To make the marinade: In a medium bowl combine the garlic, lemon rind and juice, cumin, paprika and black pepper. Add the chicken and stir to coat.
To cook: Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 4-5 minutes until softened. Then add the pepper and cook for a couple of minutes. Remove them to a plate while you brown the chicken. Add a little more oil to the pan and increase the heat. Add in the chicken fillets. Brown on both sides. Add back in the onion and pepper mixture along with the tinned tomatoes and sugar. Season with a little salt and black pepper. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in the chickpeas and allow to cook for another few minutes.