Cook Time3 hours
What you need:
- 225g/8oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour (sieved)
- 175g/6oz Butter or Margarine
- 225g/8oz Shamrock Dark Muscovado Sugar
- 350g packet Shamrock Sultanas
- 350g packet Shamrock Fruit Mix
- 100g tub Shamrock Cherries
- 100g packet Shamrock Chopped Almonds
- 100g packet Shamrock Ground Almonds
- 3 large Eggs
- Rind and Juice of 1 Orange
- 1 teaspoon Goodall’s Mixed Spice
- 2 baby bottles of Brandy
- Put butter/margarine, sugar, fruit, rind, juice and one baby bottle of the brandy into a large saucepan.
- Slowly bring to the boil, stirring occasionally, until the butter/margarine has melted.
- Turn off heat and leave to cool for approx 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile pre-heat oven to 140°C/275°F/Gas 1 and line an 8″/20cm round deep cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Stir the eggs, nuts and ground almonds into the fruit mixture and mix well.
- Finally, stir in the sieved flour and mixed spice.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin and smooth it out evenly – the back of a metal spoon dipped in water is handy for this!
- Bake for 2½-3 hours approx. After 2 hours, cover with paper if cake is browning too quickly. To check the cake is done, insert a skewer into the centre – if it comes out clean, the cake is cooked.