What you need:
- 350g/12 oz Odlums Coarse Wholemeal Flour
- 125g/4 oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
- 15g/½ oz Odlums Wheatgerm (optional)
- 275-425ml/½-¾ pt Buttermilk or Sour Cream
- 1 tsp Odlums Bread Soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- 25g/1 oz Odlums Wheat Bran (optional)
- Sieve the cream plain flour, salt and bread soda into a bowl. Mix in the wholemeal flour, wheatgerm and wheat bran, if used. Add enough milk to make a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured board. Knead until the mixture comes together smoothly.
- Place dough on a floured baking sheet. Cut a cross over the top.
- Place in a central oven position and bake in a preheated oven 200°C/400°F/Gas 6 for approx 40 mins.
- When baked the bread will have a hollow sound if tapped on the base. Cool on a wire tray. A dry tea towel wrapped around the bread at this stage helps to give a softer crust.
- Bread can also be baked in a 7″ deep cake tin